Tips to Prevent Water Damage to Exterior of Home
Water can enter your home in many ways and end up damaging the foundation. To fight back against water intrusion, take preventative measures both on your home’s interior and exterior.
Here are essential tips to safeguard your home’s exterior from water damage or mold occurring.
- Check your roof to ensure the shingle’s, flashing’s or tile’s aren’t missing, broken, cracked, curled or damaged in any other ways.
- Make sure the vents, flues, chimneys, air conditioners, and evaporative coolers are properly installed and in good shape.
- Check for leaks around rooftop air-conditioning units, vents for exhaust or plumbing, or other specialized equipment.
- Cut tree limbs that hang above your roof, so they don’t cling to shingles and trap moisture. Leaves or twigs can also clog your gutters.
Pursuit Restoration is continuously working with Treasure Valleys roofing contractors and can refer a company at request.
Gutters and Downspouts
- Ensure these are clean, free from debris, and in good condition so that water can flow freely.
- Install metal screens to prevent leaves, twigs, silt and other debris from clogging the gutters and drainage holes.
- Ensure downspouts direct water at least five feet away from your home’s foundation. Install downspout extensions if needed. (Follow video link… Attaching Gutter Extensions)
Pursuit Restoration is continuously working with Treasure Valleys Gutter contractors and can refer a company at request.
Doors and Windows
- Check for leaks near the corners of your doors and windows. Signs of leaks include peeling paint, paint discoloration or swollen frame.
- Protect exterior doors and windows from the sun, rain, and snow by installing overhangs above them.
- Close your doors and windows to check for a tight fit. Look for cracks between the sash and frame of your windows.
- Repair or replace damaged flashing or weather-stripping around windows.
Pursuit Restoration is continuously working with Treasure Valleys Window contractors and can refer a company at request.
- Check and repair cracked or broken siding boards, bricks, stone or other masonry, as well as structural sheathing.
- Seal any openings from wiring, plumbing, phone, cable, and heating and air conditioning lines with foam or caulk. Repair any damaged or unpainted wood surrounding these openings.
- Check for signs of termite activity on the walls and the wooden structures around your foundation. Termites can eat wood, plaster, and even metal siding.
- Ensure that the exhaust vent doors properly open and close.
- Remove any shrubs and other landscaping features from along the walls.
- When irrigating the garden, avoid directing water towards the house to prevent excessive water near the foundation.
- Foundation vents should be free of debris and properly working to be opened and closed throughout the temperature changes. (Follow video… Open/Close Foundation Vents.)
Pursuit Restoration is continuously working with Treasure Valleys Siding, Framing, or Any other contracting services and can refer a company at request.
Keeping your home free from water damage is critical. If your home has suffered damages Pursuit Restoration provides a Free Inspection for your comfort and knowledge.
For professional water damage repair or mold removal service, contact Pursuit Restoration at 208-515-6503.